Digging Deeper into Native American Culture

The feathers on the Regalia are the centerpiece of the costume. Throughout the analysis of the culture I wondered what the connection between the feathers and their culture could be. I dug deeper into the meaning behind the feathers and found that each feather from a variety of birds means different things. For example, an eagle feather symbolizes bravery and power because of its heiroracial status in the environment. “Eagle feathers are believed to carry strong medicine and guide the mind, body and spirit towards courage, strength, and hope.” The feathers also connect the individual back to the world around them. The dancing plus the feathers is used as culture expression and prayer.


    Another thing that I wanted to dig deeper into was the Native American woodwind. We covered it very briefly in class as an instrument, but I wanted to look into the actual musicians that play the flute. That is where I found Carlos Nakai, a flute player that is a descendant of an Arizona tribe. Carlos respects and attributes the traditions of Native culture into his flute playing but also adds a modern touch into it. He has been nominated for 11 Grammys and is a renowned artist. Carlos is seen as a gate opener for many other artists in his culture and field because of his emergence and accomplishments.

    The creation of Fancy Dance in the Pow Wow also interested me and I wanted to know the history behind it. According to Legends of America, the fancy dance was created in the 1920s or 1930s in order to preserve the Native American culture. During this period, public display of traditional dance was banned by the United States and Canadian governments. The article also says the architects of the dance type were two Ponca boys who were trying to loop-hole the laws while preserving their dying culture. 







Comments

  1. I had no idea eagle feathers were so significant! I like that you looked more at the costumes especially how certain parts are significant. Do you know if they dye the feathers that they use? I'd be curious to see how they get different colors and whether that's a modern addition or a tradition :) I wonder if colors could relate to the connection to the environment?

    ReplyDelete
  2. The origins and traditions around fancy dancing is really interesting! Not only the fact that they were able to preserve their culture with this, but also doing so to find a cheat code against the law. I wonder how that went over with the laws and how they managed to uphold it as a tradition, considering the early 1900s was still a difficult time for Indigenous peoples.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I always knew that the feathers were significant, but I never knew exactly why. I think it’s really neat. I also wrote on Native American flutes! Such a lovely sound.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The flute player was pretty cool as well with winning Grammys and giving more Background on the flute with the Native American culture. And then with the feathers meaning different meanings of birds was pretty interesting. I had no idea what the feathers mean and getting more info on it taught me a lot.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I thought learning more about the feathers was really fascinating! Honestly, I believed that they had some meaning but not exactly regarding what type of feathers they wore. It is just cool how each feather means a different characteristics. So, they can kind of read the person from their feathers before getting to know them. Which could be either good or bad.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

My Aunts Musical Culture